West Bloomfield Logo                  
Contact Us | Jobs | FAQ
 
Subscribe to email notification
Facebook
Twitter
Google site search
  
  

 

 

 
   
 
 
Carbon Monoxide

 

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless gas that reacts with oxygen, affecting the intake of oxygen by living things.

High concentrations of CO cannot be detected by smell, taste, or sight. It is estimated that over 2,000 people die each year from CO poisoning.* Low concentrations of CO can be a health problem with continual exposure. If indoor pets become ill or If you feel flu-like symptoms in your home, but feel fine when outdoors or away from the house, test your home for carbon monoxide.

Common sources of CO in the home include furnaces, generators, gas stoves, grills, water heaters, vehicles, and cigarettes. All families should place CO alarms throughout their households for maximum protection.

* Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 288(8): 988-995; August 28, 2002.

 

Environmental Department Homepage