Here are a few ideas for making your office more eco-friendly.
- Invest in laptops rather than desktops. They require much less energy to run.
- Turn computers off and lights out when you're away from your office or gone for the evening.
- Keep electronics that are only used on occasion unplugged so they are not still sucking up energy.
- Make sure to recycle. If your office doesn't, request that it start. Recycling is one of the first steps in becoming more environmentally conscientious.
- Reduce paper use. Send emails and save documents on your hard drive rather than printing them off. Use double sided printing when allowed.
- Request direct deposit for your paychecks. Less paper is better.
- Bring your own coffee mug to use and reuse, rather than filling your garbage can with disposable cups.
- Pack lunches in reusable containers rather than purchasing sandwich bags and paper sacks.
- Reconsider your normal mode of transportation. Possibly opt for carpooling or biking to work.
- Try working from home, even if only a day or two a week. Instant messaging, email, and video conferences make this simple now.
- For shorter office trips, consider taking a bus or train. These rides are much more fuel efficient when the distance isn't that far.
Environmental Department Homepage