Header image  


Why does my Assessment increase every year?
The Assessed Value of your property reflects an estimate of 50% of your property value. This estimate is based on sales of similar homes within the same or similar neighborhoods. Your Assessed Value changes to reflect the change in selling prices of similar homes. Additionally, property improvements may increase your Assessed Value.

What is Taxable Value?
Taxable Value is the amount on which a property owner pays property taxes. Taxable Value is the lesser of Assessed Value (SEV) or the prior years taxable value minus losses, increased by the lesser of 5% or the Consumer Price Index, plus Additions. A transfer of ownership will change the Taxable Value to the Assessment in the years succeeding the transfer of ownership.
Losses are the removal of property, such as removal of a garage. An Addition includes finishing a basement, building a deck, and other improvements.

What if I do not agree with the Assessed Value or the Taxable Value of my property?
Each property is valued annually. Property owners are notified annually of their revised assessment. Review the Assessment notice carefully. If you dispute the Assessed Value the Assessor's Office recommends that you discuss your Assessed Value and the calculation Taxable Value with our office. Also, visit the Assessor's Office to inspect your property record card for accuracy. The property owner may appeal their Assessment to the March Board of Review. Taxable Value may change as a result of an Assessment revision, however, may not be appealed independently of the Assessment.
The Assessment Notice lists the dates that the March Board of Review is in session. The March Board of Review conducts informal hearings on the current years Assessment. Valuation disputes may not be heard by the Board of Review after their March Board sessions have closed. Therefore, it is important that property owners disputing their Assessment file their appeal timely.
The West Bloomfield Township Board of Review consists of two groups of three members. These six members are appointed by the Township Board in accordance with the Michigan General Property Tax Act.

What if I dispute the decision of the March Board of Review?
If you dispute the decision of the March Board of Review, a property owner may appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. The appeal must be filed with the Tribunal on or before June 30, of the current year. You may appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal only if you first appealed to the March Board of Review.

Are the appraisal records open to the public?
Virtually all the Assessment records are available to the public. Property owners may examine their property records, as well as any other property in the Township.


What is a building permit?
This is a license to legally start construction of a building project

What projects need building permits?
  • All new buildings
  • All additions to existing buildings
  • Renovations/alterations: kitchen remodels, finish basements, strip & reroofing and replacement windows.
  • All building & structures demolitions
  • Temporary structures including prefabricated
  • Decks
  • Pools/Spas
  • Fireplaces
Other construction activities that need mechanical permits:
  • Additions & alterations to electrical systems
  • Additions & alterations to plumbing systems
  • Additions & alterations to HVAC (heating, ventilating & conditioning)
What projects need a Zoning permit?
  • Commercial signs & banners
  • All fences
  • Temporary structures
What is the purpose of permits?
Permits allow the enforcement of the codes, which have been adopted by the State, County and Township. The enforcement of the codes is carried out to protect the public health, safety and welfare.

Why are permits used?
Permits are valuable tool needed to provide a vital step in enforcement of codes. Permits ensure code compliance, also that your property is protected and that your value is maintained. It also provides as communication for understanding the codes and laws of the community. Permits also insure that minimum standards are met and proper materials are used.

What is the building permit process?
  • Meet your building department staff
  • Submit building permit application
  • Wait for permit review process
  • Receive results of permit review process
  • Receive building permit
  • Request and receive inspection results
  • Receive all final approvals
  • Obtain Certificate of Occupancy (permission to utilize the building)



How do I find out where I vote?
You can get your polling location at www.michigan.gov/sos or by calling the Clerk’s office directly @ 248-451-4848.

When does the Township Board meet?
Township Board normally meets the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m (new time beginning January 2007) at Township Hall. Meetings are also listed on the Township Calendar. Regular meeting are cablecast live on Channel 15.

Can I get a document notarized at the Clerks office?
The Clerk’s office staff will notarize documents for $7.00 a signature. You must bring the entire document, unsigned along with your driver’s license to the Clerk’s office during regular business hours. Documents to be notarized must be in English.

How would I access the Oakland County website?


How do I obtain information about starting a Small Business? 


How do I obtain a garage sale permit?
Garage sale permits can be obtained by coming into the our office during regular business hours. We will need your name, address, phone number and dates of the sale. We will also need to get a copy of your drivers license. The fee is $5.00 for the permit with one sign, and $6.00 for the permit with two signs. There is a limit of 2 signs per sale. You can have your sale for three consecutive days, twice a year.


Why does a community need ordinances?
Ordinances are intended to create a reasonable standard for maintenance of property and buildings. Ordinances are designed with quality of life, safety and the protection of property values in mind.

How are ordinances created?
The Board of Trustees adopts ordinances in response to public need. Ordinances or amendments to ordinances can be initiated by citizen groups, staff, appointed Boards or Commissions.

Can ordinances be changed?
If the community and the Board of Trustees see fit, ordinances can be and have been changed. Additional ordinances or amendments must be presented at a public hearing before they can be adopted at a Board meeting.

What is the difference between Ordinances and Association Rules?
Most homeowner's associations have their own set of rules or deed restrictions, applicable to their particular subdivision. These may be comparable to West Bloomfield ordinances which establish minimum standards. Association rules can be more restrictive, but not less restrictive than Township ordinances. They must be enforced by the Association...not the Township.


When are you taking applications?
Typical Application Deadlines are February 1 for Clerical, March 1 for the Fire Department, and September 1 for the Police Department. Applications will be taken 60 days in advance of those dates. If eligibility list run out, addition list will be generated at other times during the year (see Personnel Announcements for listing of jobs we are taking applications for). Other positions are posted as needed in the newspapers with a 3 week application period.

What are pay levels of positions at West Bloomfield Township?
See table on this website that shows all pay ranges.

How do I apply for employment at West Bloomfield Township?
(1) Download a form from the website, fill out and mail or fax.
(2) Come in to Township Hall, 4550 Walnut Lake Road, and fill out an application.
(3) Fill out on-line application on this web-site.

What is the fringe benefit package for West Bloomfield Township employees?
See SUMMARY OF FRINGE BENEFITS package shown in this website.

I have trash questions: whom do I call?
Please remember that you must hire Rizzo Environmental Services for your trash service; it is NOT a service PAID FOR WITH YOUR TAXES. Rizzo has taken over the five-year contract with the Township to offer three types of services: garbage, recyclables and yard refuse. For service questions with Rizzo, please contact: 1-866-772-8900. For Customer Service issues, you must initiate a call to the Customer Service Department at Rizzo.

Who removes dead animals in the Township?

In the case of a large animal (i.e. deer) obstructing the road, please contact the Oakland County Road Commission at (248) 645-2000. For the removal of all other dead animals, this unfortunately is not a service provided by the township. You may choose to hire a company to remove dead animals or do it yourself after taking all necessary precautions such as wearing gloves and never touching the dead animal with bare hands. Please report all dead crows to the West Nile Virus Hotline of the Oakland County Health Division at 1-877-377-3641. Please contact the Township's Environmental Department at (248) 451-48
18 or the Code Enforcement Department at (248) 451-4880 for instructions on how to properly dispose of dead birds or stop by the display at Town Hall to pick up a flyer with instructions.

There are some terrible potholes in my neighborhood, whom do I call to have them repaired?
Please contact the Oakland County Road Commission, Department of Citizen Services at (248) 858-4804. You must contact the same number for neighborhood paving/re-paving projects or to set up an SAD (special assessment district)

Whom do I contact about having a tour of Town Hall? .
The Township Supervisor's Office conducts tours of Town Hall. Every year, we have between 40 and 60 groups comprised mostly of elementary school students tour our offices. The highlight of those visits are meeting the Supervisor in her office and sitting in the Board Room.

Is there public transportation in West Bloomfield?
Yes. The Township is served by three fixed bus routes. Schedules are available in the Township Hall lobby or by calling SMART at (866) 962-5515. Additionally, there is a community transit bus for scheduling rides locally. For more information call West Bloomfield Parks and Recreation at (248) 451-1900.


Do you accept postmarks for bill payment?
No, we do not accept postmarks. Bills must be received in our office by close of business on the date due or received by our lockbox processor on the due date. All late payments will be charged penalty and/or interest at the appropriate rate.

Can I pay delinquent taxes at Town Hall?
You may pay current delinquent summer and winter taxes at our office until March 1. After that date, all delinquent summer and winter taxes must be paid to the County Treasurer at 1200 N Telegraph, Pontiac, MI

What payment options do I have?
U.S. MAIL: If you received a payment coupon, send us the top portion with your payment in the enclosed envelope. If you wish to expedite mail to our box number, please use US Postal Service "Express" or "Priority" mail and check the 'no signature required' box.

AT TOWN HALL: We are open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. We also have two drop boxes located on the east side of the building, one on the island and one to the left of the entrance door. Please do not place cash in the drop box.

ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER: You may have your payment deducted automatically from your checking or savings account. Call 1-888-388-5959 to set up your account information, or, on the internet, go to eps.mvpbanking.com. Our access code is 3185 for taxes and 3167 for water and sewer payments.

CREDIT CARD: Pay by Visa or MasterCard. Call 1-877-724-3292, or, on the internet, go to www.officialpayments.com. You will be charged a convenience fee for this service.

UPS and FedEx SERVICES: You must address mail to: 4550 Walnut Lake Rd, West Bloomfield, MI, 48323. Delivery must occur during our business hours. Penalties are not waived for failure of a carrier to deliver to us on time.

What is the charge for a returned check?
All checks not honored by your bank and returned to the Township will result in a charge to you of $30.00.


1. Where is it legal to discharge my sump pump? Anywhere outside your home as long as the first place it hits the ground is at least 20 feet from the road to avoid icing in the winter. Underground connections into the County storm drain (below the curb) require a permit from the County.

2. Is the Township responsible for repairing water and sewer lines between the road and my house? No. Our responsibility does not extend past the utility easement onto private property but we will assist you in determining if you have a leak in your line.

3. Can I use plastic for my water service line? We require copper.

4. Who do I call if I have a blocked storm drain or need my road plowed in winter? Oakland County Citizen's Service Bureau for Roads and Drains, 248.858.4804.

5. What is the difference between a sanitary sewer and a storm drain? Sanitary sewers remove waste products from your home and send them underground to a treatment plant. Storm drains gather rain and storm runoff and direct them to wetlands and lakes. Ditches and curb line grates are storm drains. Sanitary manholes have solid round covers. The two systems are not connected; storm water entering the sanitary sewer is one possible cause of sewer back ups. The Township maintains the sanitary sewers and the County maintains the storm drains in the road right of ways. Storm drains located elsewhere are usually the responsibility of property owners.

6. What causes my water to be cloudy or milky looking? Air in the lines. It can occur when valves are turned on or off to work on water mains. Extreme amounts of air can cause vibration or banging noises in your pipes. Sometimes this air can be eliminated by running a faucet on the top floor of your home. If not, please call the water department.

7. Why is my water brown or dirty looking? When we turn water off to make a repair it can stir up the mineral content that settled to the bottom of the main. You do not need to boil your water. Run the cold water only until it clears up. Using hot water before you have cleared the cold water will draw the dirty water into your hot water heater. We will announce via radio, television and newspaper in the unlikely event that you ever need to boil your water.

8. Can I pay my water and sewer bill online, by credit card or automatic deduction? Yes. Call the office for details.